We’ve been away for the bank holiday. I’ve had a great time but as we pulled up on the drive my first thought was to rush down the garden for a check up. Chickens, poly tunnel and summerhouse.
The summerhouse has romped away and space was needed everywhere. Lots need taking to the polytunnel to harden off.
The polytunnel is a similar jungle. The cabbages and cauliflower have been a failure with lots of growth but no heads. The peas are podding but not swelling very quickly. All of the over wintered flowers and plants needed to come out. I decided to be ruthless and clear the brassicas into the compost. Space is going to be needed really soon. I also stood all the pots outside with a view to covering with fleece should it look necessary.
I earthed up the bags of potatoes.
Moneymaker tomatoes have their first flowers coming. After putting them in the tunnel I decided to plant some in the soil.
I planted them really deep. I hear that encourages more roots to form on the stem and certainly last year I had a good crop of fruit after doing the same. Both the tunnel and the summerhouse looked better for a clear out and now I have lots more room for some more seedlings. There are still lots germinating.
I might have to dig up more lawn to fit them all in but I’m sure hubby won’t mind!