When we ordered the new poly tunnel a fortnight ago I realised I only had tomatoes and chilli peppers to plant in it. I tried to buy pepper, cucumber and melon plants but couldn’t find any nice ones so quickly brought and sowed seed.
It was 2 weeks ago tomorrow so I am very pleased with the cucumbers, but the other 2 are a bit slower. Hence my melon happiness!
The poly tunnel is also a happy event. Last weekend we spent a day putting up all the metal work
Now the instructions said 2 people could do this in 2 days, and although I guess that is true, they never mentioned the length of day and effort needed during those days.
Hubby is a measure twice, cut once sort of person. I’m slapdash. Hubby likes to know what he’s doing and what the end result might be. I’m still slapdash.
The frame was fairly simple after some long winded measuring and hole digging.
Hubby then spent a couple of evenings doing the wood work and door frames
The plastic was huge and unwieldy in such a small space. We managed it without mishap.
Tightening the sides went OK, and then we got to the ends. What ever they say about neat creases, all laying the same way is quite honestly not that easy.
Eventually after several attempts my slapdash mentality won the day. The folds are random, the result lacks finesse, but its done and it’s tight (ish) and that’s good enough for me.
From the inside its a bit ‘ Heath Robinson’. But its all mine and I love it.
I now just have to get in the tomatoes
The cucumber and the melons.
Not to mention all the other 101 things I want to grow.
Perhaps I should have had a bigger model!