Everything’s coming up seedling.

image

Everything I planted in the summerhouse has germinated and is racing along at a pace. Unfortunately I never expected this and am just not prepared. Many of the seeds are from previous seasons and I just never expected them all to germinate so well.

I needed to prick some out to give them more space but where to put them then. The summerhouse was never meant to grow plants and as the floor is carpeted everything has to go in trays to keep that dry.
The potatoes were taking up 2 of those trays and looking very healthy so I decided to move them into bags. I will leave those outside but move into the garage if the nights get really cold. Otherwise I intend to just cover with fleece ( if I remember!)

image

I put the bags into the raised bed that is empty after taking out the raspberry canes the other week. It’s meant to be a flower bed but that can wait.

There were many more potatoes than bags and while looking around I came across this old water butt.

image

It’s always leaked and this year we have some ‘lovely’ new water storage

image

I removed the tap for drainage but didn’t want to make holes in it because I might need it for something else soon ( and if I’m honest I’m not safe alone with a drill especially not on a slippery surface. Think blood bath!)

image

It was pretty clean inside already as it has been upside down on the rhubarb to force that. ( that didn’t work, the wind kept blowing it over and the rhubarb hasn’t grown at all)

image

I planted 6 potato plants just above tap level. Luckily no one was around with a camera as I hung upside down in the barrel to space them out. I’ve got short arms what can I say!

image

I used this really lovely mix of soil riddled from my surprise leaf mould garden and waste compost from the raspberry raised bed. Very good it looks too. I might need to feed later though.

Then I escaped back into the summerhouse to do some potting

image

image

image

Courgettes, mange tout and sweet corn have done well in their cardboard tube pots but all were rooting out of the bottom and going mouldy. Now I haven’t used this idea before but I don’t think mould is good, not with seedlings around.

image

image

They look better now, along with some sweet peas and nasturtiums grown in coir pots and a few left over potatoes.

image

The cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli are looking good from last week. They are up on the bench with the other seedlings. I cover the whole area with plastic and fleece each evening still.

image

These are chilli, moneymaker and beefsteak tomatoes. I’m not sure how well they will do without heat but are getting away so far.

image

The biggest worry is my new blueberry. I only brought it the other week and didn’t put it out as I thought it was still to cold. Unfortunately it is in flower and surely that’s to early. We will just have to see.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s